My second time making this recipe, inspired from the Lacto-Fermentation ebook from Cultures for Health, and it is awesome! I used half and half orange and yellow sweet peppers this time, along with celery leaves, fresh basil and juice of one lime. I let it ferment for 3 days; condo is warm at this time of year. I use pickle pebbles and pipes.
Had a couple of scoops on my toast this morning with tempeh toast topper… yum!
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery; celery leaves (optional)
- Fresh coriander, oregano, basil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Lime or lemon juice, to taste
- ½–1 teaspoon crushed chilies (optional)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Place in a 1-litre mason jars.
- Press veggies down until covered with liquid; add water as needed. Veggies should be submerged.
- Weigh down with pickle pebble. (optional)
- Ferment 2–5 days at room temperature.